The all volunteer non-profit 501c3 organization was formed in 1976. Financial support for the Society is through monetary and in-kind donations, grants, fundraising activities, and membership dues.
The Blue Springs Historical Society is dedicated to
· Preserving, promoting, and fostering appreciation of the history of Blue Springs, Missouri,
· Educating the public by providing archival and library services, and
· Supporting our museums responsibility for collecting and restoring historical artifacts and locations relevant to Blue Springs, Missouri; and
· Providing opportunities for the general public to become actively involved in the Society’s efforts to perpetuate the history of Blue Springs, Missouri.
Our purpose is to bring together people interested in the history of Blue Springs and eastern Jackson County.
Our function is to
- Strive to improve the Dillingham-Lewis House Museum and the Chicago & Alton Hotel buildings;
- Develop a 1906 Educational Heritage Garden to educate the public about heirloom plants;
- Acquire period items for display;
- Conduct research about the history of our community and its members;
- To educate people about the history of our citizens and our city through use of our archives.